Log In

Log In

Forgot Your Password?

Cart Subtotal: $0.00
The Hall Family Portrait
Horses and cows in front of fence with water mill at Orchard Ranch
Washington School Kindergarten class at Governor's Mansion at Sharlot Hall Museum
Sharlot Hall, President Coolidge and officials
Sharlot Hall and group of women among rocks
Milda Boblett
Sharlot M. Hall and her brother, Edward "Ted" V. Hall
James Hall's funeral procession
Sharlot Hall and three cars enroute to Walapai
Orchard Ranch house ruins from side and rear behind tree
Sharlot M. Hall in Copper Dress - Upper Body Shot
Sharlot Hall and two men sitting before Picture Rock
Sharlot M. Hall in front of museum on Capitol Rd.
Sharlot profile facing left
Sharlot Hall holding rifle standing before dog
Sharlot Hall, Leo Layton, bus and car
prev
Sharlot M. Hall reading in office

Sharlot M. Hall reading in office

Sharlot M. Hall reading in office. from glass plate negative, damaged.


Orchard Ranch windmill and bare trees

Orchard Ranch windmill and bare trees

Orchard Ranch water windmill and bare orchard trees viewed from hill. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.


James Hall feeding peacocks at Orchard Ranch

James Hall feeding peacocks at Orchard Ranch

James Hall feeding peacocks at Orchard Ranch.


Sharlot Hall in carriage by saguaro

Sharlot Hall in carriage by saguaro

Sharlot Hall sitting in horse-drawn carriage by saguaro cactus on trip to northern Arizona. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths, returning to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.


Sharlot Hall in Copper Dress - Seated Facing Right

Sharlot Hall in Copper Dress - Seated Facing Right

Sharlot M. Hall seated on bench wearing copper dress, facing right, which she wore to Washington, D.C. to deliver Arizona's electoral vote in March of 1925.


Adeline Hall and unidentified woman

Adeline Hall and unidentified woman

Adeline Hall and unidentified woman standing in front of flowering tree.


Sharlot M. Hall's Grandmother

Sharlot M. Hall's Grandmother

Sharlot M. Hall's Grandmother


Sharlot Hall and three cars enroute to Walapai

Sharlot Hall and three cars enroute to Walapai

Sharlot Hall and three cars enroute to Walapai for snake dance on trip to northern Arizona. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths, returning to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.


next

Sharlot M. Hall, SHM MS-12

Items 31 to 45 of 324 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction
Switch View
  • Edward "Ted" Hall cutting rawhide

    Edward "Ted" Hall cutting rawhide into strips at Orchard Ranch. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall on Horseback with Two Other Riders

    Edward "Ted" Hall on horseback at right with 2 other riders at Orchard Ranch. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall on Horseback with Wagon

    Edward "Ted" Hall on horseback in middle with 2 other riders and wagon at Orchard Ranch.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall Seated & Reading Book

    Edward "Ted" Hall seated reading book facing front. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward "Ted" Hall Seated & Reading Book

    Edward "Ted" Hall seated reading book in profile. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874.

    Learn More |
  • Edward & Samuel Boblett as Children

    Edward and Samuel Boblett as children. These boys are Sharlot M. Hall's nephews. Samuel M. Boblett (b. 1862 - d. 1942) and Edward J. Boblett (b. 1866 - d. 1932) were born in Kansas to John C. and Amanda B. Boblett - Sharlot M. Hall’s uncle and aunt.

    Learn More |
  • Edward Hall on horseback

    Edward Hall on horseback with rope in hand. Edward V. Hall (Ted) (b. March 11, 1874, d. September 26, 1928), Sharlot Hall's brother, was born to James and Adeline Hall in Kansas in 1874. The family moved to Lynx Creek, Arizona in 1879 to Orchard Ranch. His interest in mining engineering led him to Mexico in 1907 where he met and married a Mexican woman, Petra Acosta. The couple had seven children. This marriage caused an estrangement between Ted and his sister, Sharlot. Although Ted and Petra moved to Tucson in 1912, Sharlot never saw her brother again, although she did attend his funeral in 1928.

    Learn More |
  • Edward J. Boblett as a Child

    Edward J. Boblett, nephew to Sharlot M. Hall, as a child sitting on a chair.

    Learn More |
  • Edward Leonard Boblett as a child

    Edward Leonard Boblett (b. 1891, d. 1956) was the eldest child of Sharlot M. Hall's first cousin, Samuel M. Boblett, and his wife, Minnie Bargemann.

    Learn More |
  • Graining stones at Sharlot Hall Museum

    Graining stones at Sharlot Hall Museum. Photo taken by Mr. and Mrs. Ernst Behrend during visit to museum.

    Learn More |
  • Horses and cows before fence at Orchard Ranch

    Horses and cows before fence at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses and cows in front of fence with water mill at Orchard Ranch

    Horses and cows in front of fence, with water mill at left at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses at Orchard Ranch

    Horses at Orchard Ranch. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses at Orchard Ranch

    Horses in front of fence at Orchard Ranch. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |
  • Horses, pigs and chickens at Orchard Ranch

    Horses, pigs, chickens and men in front of wagon at Orchard Ranch in winter. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizona's vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governor's Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Orchard Ranch was built in 1890 on land at the lower end of Lynx Creek valley by James Hall. It was built in the shape of a T with a crossbar running east and west and included two porches, a well and a tank. It faced the highway between Camp Verde and Prescott. From 1890-1895, apple, pear and peach trees were planted, and 120 head of cattle were raised by the Hall family. After the death of James Hall, the ranchhouse and 320 acres were sold in 1929 to Edward G. Applegate. In the following years, it was neglected, and became run down. It was rented occasionally until it was declared unfit for habitation and razed around 1966.

    Learn More |

Items 31 to 45 of 324 total

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Grid  List 

Set Descending Direction
Switch View