Log In

Log In

Forgot Your Password?

Cart Subtotal: $0.00

Sharlot Hall and group at Highway Monument dedication

Availability: In stock

Quick Overview

Sharlot Hall,third from right standing at dedication of Highway Monument. From left, E. H. West, Miss Annie Louise Smith, George B. Shaffer, Shelton M. Donald, James L. Edwards, Budig (holding Joan) Devenfont, J. W. Walden, Dr. E. C. Sevle, Fred Guirey, Riley Bryant, Sharlot Hall, Honorable Nellie T. Bush, and Miss George Anne Shaffer. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizonas vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.
Fred M. Guirey ( b. 1909, d. 1984) was an engineer and architect in Maricopa County, who was the first landscape engineer hired by the Arizona Highway Commission. In that capacity he initiated one of the first highway beautification programs in the country. In 1952, he was appointed a member of the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Commission, on which he served for 25 years. He was instrumental in the acquisition of 93,000 acres of regional parks and the Black Canyon Shooting Range and Recreation Area.
Nellie Trent Bush (b. November 29,1888, d. October 27,1963) was born in Missouri and arrived in Mesa, Arizona in 1893 with her family. She taught school in Glendale until moving with her husband, Joe, to Parker in 1915, where they established a hotel, bank, power plant and electric company and where Mrs. Bush taught and became principal at the Parker school. She also became the first woman to obtain a ferryboat license to navigate the Colorado River. In 1918 she began her political career as school trustee, followed by a term as justice of the peace, and later by six sessions in the Arizona House. In 1934 she became the state’s second female state senator. She obtained a law degree from the University of Arizona in 1924, and also in the 1920’s was the first woman appointed as U. S. Commissioner for Arizona, served as president of the local bank, and on state committees investigating corruption in the state Highway Department. She achieved national recognition as “Admiral of Arizona’s Navy” during a controversy over the construction of the Parker Dam. At the time of her death, she was serving on the Parker City Council.


Click main image to zoom & pan

* Required Fields

Details

File Name: po1193pa.jpg
Location: MS-12, Folder 19, File 3
Medium: B&W
New Call Number: 1928-0001-0153
Old Call Number: PO1193PA
Original Format: Print
Photo Collection: Sharlot M. Hall
Photo Date: April 25, 1937
Rights: Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives.
Size: 6x9
Staff Notes: Research in process (DDM)

Additional Info

Old Call Number PO1193PA
New Call Number 1928-0001-0153
Photo Collection Sharlot M. Hall
Location MS-12, Folder 19, File 3
Creator No
Distributor No
Photo Date April 25, 1937
Medium B&W
Original Format Print
Size 6x9
File Name po1193pa.jpg
Rights Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives.
Staff Notes Research in process (DDM)
Description Sharlot Hall,third from right standing at dedication of Highway Monument. From left, E. H. West, Miss Annie Louise Smith, George B. Shaffer, Shelton M. Donald, James L. Edwards, Budig (holding Joan) Devenfont, J. W. Walden, Dr. E. C. Sevle, Fred Guirey, Riley Bryant, Sharlot Hall, Honorable Nellie T. Bush, and Miss George Anne Shaffer. In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizonas vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address. Fred M. Guirey (b. 1909, d. 1984) was an engineer and architect in Maricopa County, who was the first landscape engineer hired by the Arizona Highway Commission. In that capacity he initiated one of the first highway beautification programs in the country. In 1952, he was appointed a member of the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Commission, on which he served for 25 years. He was instrumental in the acquisition of 93,000 acres of regional parks and the Black Canyon Shooting Range and Recreation Area. Nellie Trent Bush (b. November 29, 1888, d. October 27, 1963) was born in Missouri and arrived in Mesa, Arizona in 1893 with her family. She taught school in Glendale until moving with her husband, Joe, to Parker in 1915, where they established a hotel, bank, power plant and electric company and where Mrs. Bush taught and became principal at the Parker school. She also became the first woman to obtain a ferryboat license to navigate the Colorado River. In 1918 she began her political career as school trustee, followed by a term as justice of the peace, and later by six sessions in the Arizona House. In 1934 she became the state’s second female state senator. She obtained a law degree from the University of Arizona in 1924, and also in the 1920’s was the first woman appointed as U. S. Commissioner for Arizona, served as president of the local bank, and on state committees investigating corruption in the state Highway Department. She achieved national recognition as “Admiral of Arizona’s Navy” during a controversy over the construction of the Parker Dam. At the time of her death, she was serving on the Parker City Council.