Log In

Log In

Forgot Your Password?

Cart Subtotal: $0.00

Sharlot Hall, Joe and Dave Dougherty at Governor's Mansion

Availability: In stock

Quick Overview

Sharlot Hall, Joe and Dave Dougherty at front of Governor's Mansion.In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizonas vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.Joseph Dougherty (b. April 23, 1854; d. March 18, 1937) was born in Iowa and arrived in Prescott in 1879 to join his brother, John W., in the mercantile business, known as the Dougherty Brothers. After purchasing his brother's interest, he continued to operate the O. K. Store until about 1908 when he sold it to two employees. Other enterprises in Prescott included the Cross S Ranch and a livery. In 1899, he purchased the original Governor's Mansion from the Congregational Church of Prescott and remodeled it and occupied it with his family. In 1917, he moved to California for the health of his son, David.The Governor's Mansion was built in its current location in 1864 from ponderosa pine and served as living quarters for several territorial officials, including Governor John Goodwin and Secretary Richard McCormick. The first Territorial Legislature met there during the winter of 1864-65. After the capital moved to Tucson in 1867, the building was sold to Henry Fleury, and subsequently to Judge C.G.W. French, the First Congregational Church and Joseph Dougherty. The State of Arizona purchased it in 1917, and in 1927 Sharlot Hall signed an agreement with the State to install her collections in the Mansion and operate it as a museum.
Click main image to zoom & pan

* Required Fields

Details

File Name: bug536ph.jpg
Location: SHM-MS-12-Box 19- Folder 8
Medium: B&W
New Call Number: 1928-0001-0264
Old Call Number: BUG536PH
Original Format: Print
Photo Collection: Sharlot M. Hall
Photo Date: C. 1925
Rights: Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives.
Size: 4x6

Additional Info

Old Call Number BUG536PH
New Call Number 1928-0001-0264
Photo Collection Sharlot M. Hall
Location SHM-MS-12-Box 19- Folder 8
Creator No
Distributor No
Photo Date C. 1925
Medium B&W
Original Format Print
Size 4x6
File Name bug536ph.jpg
Rights Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives.
Staff Notes No
Description Sharlot Hall, Joe and Dave Dougherty at front of Governor's Mansion.In 1882, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (b. 1870, d. 1943) moved from Lincoln County, Kansas to Lynx Creek, Arizona, 12 miles southeast of Prescott, with her father, James Knox Hall, her mother, Adeline Susannah Hall, and her brother, Edward V. Hall (Ted). She became a poet, penning a book of poetry, Cactus and Pine, and a journalist, also serving a stint as editor of Out West Magazine. In 1909, she became the first woman to hold public office in Arizona when she was appointed Territorial Historian. After leaving office in 1912, she cared for her aging parents at their farm, Orchard Ranch, until their deaths. She returned to public life in 1924 when she was selected as elector to carry Arizonas vote to Washington, D. C. In 1927, her long-time dream was realized when the original Territorial Governors Mansion in Prescott was leased to her for life, and she became the steward of the museum (1928) that now bears her name. During this period she also was a popular speaker before civic and professional groups throughout Arizona. She died on April 9, 1943, and her funeral was a large affair held at the museum, with the Governor giving the principal address.Joseph Dougherty (b. April 23, 1854; d. March 18, 1937) was born in Iowa and arrived in Prescott in 1879 to join his brother, John W., in the mercantile business, known as the Dougherty Brothers. After purchasing his brother's interest, he continued to operate the O. K. Store until about 1908 when he sold it to two employees. Other enterprises in Prescott included the Cross S Ranch and a livery. In 1899, he purchased the original Governor's Mansion from the Congregational Church of Prescott and remodeled it and occupied it with his family. In 1917, he moved to California for the health of his son, David.The Governor's Mansion was built in its current location in 1864 from ponderosa pine and served as living quarters for several territorial officials, including Governor John Goodwin and Secretary Richard McCormick. The first Territorial Legislature met there during the winter of 1864-65. After the capital moved to Tucson in 1867, the building was sold to Henry Fleury, and subsequently to Judge C.G.W. French, the First Congregational Church and Joseph Dougherty. The State of Arizona purchased it in 1917, and in 1927 Sharlot Hall signed an agreement with the State to install her collections in the Mansion and operate it as a museum.